Friday, August 11, 2006

HONESTY PAYS WHEN IN SEARCH OF THE TRUE GOD

Imagine you awoke one day alone, on a boat in the middle of an ocean, with no land in sight, without instruments or communication, and without the knowledge of the direction that would take you to safety. That is the way I visualized my situation when I began my search for our true God or Source. No longer trusting the truth-value of some of the things I learned from the Bible during my years as a Catholic boy, I put the book away. Then I started reading books about other religions, about philosophy, about evolution, about the physical laws of our universe, and about every other subject that could help me in my quest. My mind would be my guide.

Here is a quote from Ercian Testament, http://www.ercian.org/erciantestament/erciantestamentpartone.html
Chapter 1, "Ground Zero," page 2:


No longer at peace with the beliefs of my youth, I needed to submerge myself in the mysteries of being. I had to find the truth, the whole truth, nothing but the truth.

How does God exist? What is God’s nature? Does God have a plan? How do we figure in God’s plan? To be worthy of God’s presence, how must we behave on Earth? Questions such as these came to mind. I could not start my search with preconceived notions. Truth was of vital importance. I had to become completely honest with myself, even if it shattered my idealized concept of the supreme. Following traditional beliefs would not yield anything new. If I wanted to reach GrOunD Zero, I first had to reach my own ground zero: the essence of my mind in that virginal state where innocence asks the most impertinent and unthinkable questions.


Since this is only a short post, to learn about conclusions reached, I invite you to read those chapters in my book concerning God’s nature. My journey ended well as far as I am concerned. The big lesson I learned is that honesty pays off during soul searching. Only fear of the unknown, of finding there is no God, for example, can keep you from finding the nature of what is true and real to the best of your ability.

It is not a sign of true faith to hold on to beliefs that make you feel good but have no chance of being real. To risk your sanity in order to gain your soul, that is true faith. Take care and be well. In God with love, In God with knowledge, and In God with courage, Forever and Ever, Amen.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home